Club History

Louth Town were formed in May 2007 when Louth United decided not to continue fielding a team in the Central Midlands League. The ground at Park Avenue had already been sold but local businessman Kerry Coggle with the backing of Steve Appleby, was able to secure a short term lease on the ground and with the support of the CMFL committee, and a group of willing helpers, Louth Town was formed.

After finishing a creditable 10th in their first season Town were rocked when manager Steve Morley announced that for personal reasons he could not longer continue managing the team. Andy Holmes was appointed but due to unforeseen work commitments he had to stand down and with 3 weeks to go before the start of the 2008-009 season, Paul Walden was brought into the club. Paul, who was previously manager of Skegness Town in the Lincs League has a wealth of experience and was able to bring a number of talented players into the club.

Paul made an immediate impact with the team, winning all but 3 of 28 league games during the season to win the league by 9 clear points and be promoted to the Supreme League as champions. There was also a Challenge Cup semi final appearance which unfortunately resulted in an unlucky 1-0 defeat to Sutton Town who went on to lift the trophy.

It was then decided that as part of their progression, the club would form a reserve team to play in the Lincs League for the 2009-2010 season.

The 2009-10 season proved to be even more successful than the season before as the first team won the Supreme Division by 8 clear points, won the CMFL Floodlit Cup and were finalists in both the CMFL Challenge Cup and the Lincs FA Senior Trophy. By winning the league, promotion to the Northern Counties East League was gained. They were also awarded the CMFL “Team of the Season” for the second year running.

As well as the first team and reserves, season 2010-11 saw the introduction of an ‘A’ team in the East Lincs Combination, a team in Division 3 of the Grimsby & Cleethorpes Sunday League as well as junior teams at U18, U13, U12 and two at U11, bringing the total number of teams playing under the Louth Town banner to nine.

Half way through the 2010-11 season, manager Paul Walden announced that he would be leaving at the end of the season, but then decided to go at the beginning of March. The club acted swiftly and brought in former Selby Town duo Mick Gray and John Steeples who steadied the ship and guided the team through to the end of the season and a more than creditable 6th place finish in the White Wolves first ever season in the NCEL.

There was a further twist to the Louth Town story in May 2011 as Gray and Steeples left the club by mutual consent. They were surprisingly replaced by Paul Walden, who agreed to return for a second spell in charge.

There was great excitement at Park Avenue in July 2011 when it was announced that as well as securing a further lease on the stadium the club had also been accepted into the 2011-12 FA Cup for the first time in their history.

The team’s first run in the FA Cup brought some excitement as both Gedling Miners Welfare and Holbrook Sports were beaten before the White Wolves bowed out with a 2-0 defeat to ¬†Evo-stik League side Buxton in front of 335 supporters at Park Avenue. In the league, Louth were somewhat inconsistent and finished the season in 12th place in the NCEL Division 1. There were emotional scenes at the end of the season as manager Paul Walden left the club, deciding to retire from football management altogether.

Walden was replaced at the helm by former pro Daryl Clare for season 2012-13 and Clare led the team to their highest ever finish in the football pyramid, finishing 3rd in the table and also reaching the final of the NCEL League Cup.

Season 2013-14 proved to be a major disappointment as the team struggled at the bottom end of the NCEL league table for the whole campaign, winning just 6 league matches out of a possible 42 and ending the season with just 20 points. Clare left the club by mutual consent midway through the season, to be replaced once more by “Mr Louth Town”, Paul Walden who was coaxed out of retirement for a third spell in charge.

Although the White Wolves ended the season in an automatic relegation place, the team were reprieved after the unfortunate demise of Dinnington Town and will once again compete in the Northern Counties East League Division 1 in the current season.

Plans are progressing for the clubs new stadium and hopes are high that the season will prove to be a successful one!!